Don’t worry if your ‘HP Printer is In error state‘. We will explain why this problem occurs and how to fix it.
What Do You Do if Your HP Printer is in Error State?
Check that the printer status is not ‘offline’
To ensure that your HP printer is not offline, follow these steps:
- Open the ‘Run’ dialog box by typing ‘Run’ into the Windows search bar. In the search box, type ‘Control panel’ and press the ‘OK’ button.
- Choose the ‘Devices and Printers’ option.
- Now, from the shown printer list, right-click on your visible HP printer and deselect the option “use printer offline”.
These instructions will assist you in resolving problems and error states with your HP printer.
Don’t Forget to Choose “Default Printer” Mode
If your HP printer displays an error message, ensure it is set to default mode. Follow the given steps:
- To open a dialog box, go to your Windows start menu and type “Run”.
- Go to the control panel and click on the Devices and Printers.
- Then, from the list of printers, select your displayed HP printer and right-click on it.
- Click on “Set as Default Printer” to make your HP printer as default.
- A green check mark will now display on your HP printer icon, indicating that your printer has been configured as the default.
Check Printer Spooler Services
Make sure that your printer’s spooler services are active and in automated mode. You can do this by following the procedures outlined below:
- Open the ‘Run’ dialog box and type’services.msc’ in the the search bar.
- Now scroll down the window, search for the spooler option and confirm that it is ‘running’. Thereafter double click on it to ensure that spooler services are installed on ‘Automatic mode’. Select ‘Automatic’ if services are configured to manual mode.
- Next, pick ‘Restart the Service’ from the ‘First Failure’ option on the ‘Recovery’ tab. Click on’Apply’ button to save changes.
- Check to see if your printer is still in error mode.
Clean Print Spooler Files
Check that the spooler files are empty. You can do this by the following the given steps:
- First Navigate to the Local Disk (C)>Windows>System32>Spool>Printers folder.
- Inside the printer folder, you may now notice a lot of files. You must delete all of them.
- Now navigate to Local Disk(C)>Windows>System32>Spool>Drivers>w32x86.
- Delete all files from the ‘w32x86’ folder.
- Return to the ‘Spooler Service’ menu and select the ‘Restart’ option.
Reinstall HP Printer Driver
A malfunctioning or unsuitable printer driver might also cause the ‘HP printer is in error condition’ error. This, however, is easily solved by updating or reinstalling the drivers. Furthermore, it is critical that you install the correct driver for your printer model, as installing the incorrect driver will keep your printer in an error condition. The simplest way to locate the correct driver is to download it from the official HP website.
Download and Install HP Printer Driver
- From the control panel menu, select the option device and printer. Click on the ‘add a local printer’ option, then next and follow the instructions. This will look for and install the driver for your printer.
- You can also go to the official HP website, enter your printer model number, and download the drivers.
- Download the HP smart app as well, which will help you in installing your driver. The HP smart App is available for both Windows and Mac OS.
- Finally, after successfully installing your drivers, you will see your printer’s status as online with a green check mark. This indicates that your printer has been installed and is ready for use.
Check Printer Connection and Restart your Device
When you see the HP printer in error state, it is advised to use easy troubleshooting methods such as
- If your printer and computer are connected by Wi-Fi, check your primary network connection.
- Check the power and network cable (if using a wired connection) connecting your printer to the computer to check there is no problem.
- Finally, restart your computer to see if the error message has disappeared.
Other Troubleshooting Steps To Fix HP Printer In Error State
We’ve included some more troubleshooting instructions in this section to help you out. These are as follows:
- First, ensure that your printer’s photocopy function is operational. If not, it signifies you have a printer hardware fault that cannot be repaired. If your printer is still under warranty, you may be eligible for a replacement.
- Then, disconnect the printer’s power cable.
- Hold down the printer power button for 15 seconds.
- Ensure that you connect the printer to a wall socket rather than a surge protector.
- After that, reconnect the power cable. Press the power button on the wall outlet as well as the power button on the printer.
- Now, download and run the HP Print and Scan Doctor program to diagnose the printer driver problem. The software is available from HP’s official website.
- The wire should be properly connected.
- The printer should not be in the sleep mode.
- It is necessary to fill the printer cartridge.
- There should be enough paper in the input tray.
- There should be no paper jam.
- Examine the printer for a paper jam.
We have discussed all possible solutions to fix the HP printer in error state in this article. You only need to ensure that all of the above troubleshooting steps are carried out exactly as described. If you require any additional support, please contact HP’s official helpline via their official website. Or you can contact us at the number listed on the screen for third-party assistance if your HP printer is in an error state. Continue reading and scrolling around our website for more articles like this.
Also Read: How To Find The IP Address On a HP Printer